(NOAH) "It will be a single match with no title intentions", Global Tag League, Champions Carnival, Naomichi Marufuji's 20th year anniversary press conference


BOKU-PRO
13TH March 2018


On September 1st, Naomichi Marufuji will hold the 20th Anniversary of his debut at Ryōgoku Kokugikan, he held a press conference in Tokyo on March 13. While swearing that he would have a single non title match, he said he wanted to raise his stock by September 1st by "Global Tag League" and All Japan's "Champion Carnival".

The memorial event will be held at Ryōgoku Kokugikan. This was achieved with some difficulty as it needs renovation work for the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020, it will be unusable in July and August as a result and in September it will host Grand Sumo. It was hard to get it for August as scheduled. Noah's President Masayuki Uchida, who was present at the press conference said, "thanks to the co-operation of various people, it was a miracle we were able to get this date.". Marufuji added that "I want to express my gratitude to them, and make the day successful."

Speaking of the memorial show packed with memories, Marufuji said "Over twenty years there have been various encounters and various partings, but on this day only those who have been involved, those who have taken care of me, promotions that have done the same...I would like you to participate in it as you have been indispensable in my twenty years." Although he is speaking about something which may at first glance be hard to realise at first, he is positively approaching the situation.

Regarding his own anniversary match, he confirmed he wants it to be a single. And as for the opponent, "There are many things on my mind, can I do it or not? I think that the possibility that it cannot be done is high, but I am going to take many approaches towards it". As to the rest of the card, Marufuji says he would like the wrestlers to enjoy it, and that he does not think there will be any title matches. "Noah's way is a different kind of entertainment, and after the event we will hold an after party in the Kokugikan Ballroom". There is six months, half a year, until it happens. In order to welcome in the 20th anniversary he says "half a year goes quickly, so I treasure everything, an hour, a day and I want to keep going. There is the tag league coming up and All Japan's Champion Carnival. I want to welcome in September 1st by raising the value of Naomichi Marufuji even a bit".

DETAILED COMMENTS FROM THE PRESS CONFERENCE

MARUFUJI: Over the course of twenty years leading up to the anniversary, I have experienced many injuries, but I feel well in my body at the moment...in this event of the twenty year memorial, there have been a great deal of cooperation from the people at Ryōgoku Kokugikan. I am truly delighted to hold the memorial event there, and I would like to thank them. For their co-operation and that of the fans who are expecting beyond anything, I want to exceed expectations. It is half a year until the event, it was a big thing six months ago when I announced this, but half a year goes quickly and I cherish every moment.

Q: What are you currently working on?

MARUFUJI: Over twenty years there have been various encounters and various partings, but on this day only those who have been involved, those who have taken care of me, promotions that have done the same...I would like you to participate in it as you have been indispensable in my twenty years.

Q: Do you think there will be anything you do not do?

MARUFUJI: I don't want to say anything as I don't really know, but I think it is better to try to do things than to not do them. I want those who have been indispensable to me in my twenty years to come. I don't think there will be a title match. I don't know what kind of title match will be coming up in the following year, or who will be champion and I think to hold one would distract from the event. It is a memorial, so I hope we can make a good box office without it.

Q: So will you organise the card and be the centre of the event?

MARUFUJI: Basically, I do want you to think about me. I don't know how many people can be called upon for this, but if there are so many, then I might not be able to put on a singles match. Outside of the ring I want everyone to enjoy it, but I myself want to do a singles match. The rest of the card doesn't have to be like that necessarily.

Q: Do you want it to be a different event than Noah's?

MARUFUJI: I want it to be mine.

Q: This will have your twenty years journey packed into it?

MARUFUJI: Yes. For example if we have had a title match in July or August, we cannot announce a title match card in September. I want to announce the cards as early as possible, I'm not saying that I won't do a title match, but its not the direction I am heading in at the moment. I want the wrestlers to have fun.

Q: What else are you thinking of for the event?

MARUFUJI: I would like to have some 20th anniversary goods. I think we want to open the gates a little bit to other people who attend the event with an after show party.

Q: Global Tag League begins soon, but in order to add to the 20th anniversary, are you going to win more acclaim?

MARUFUJI: Global Tag League is approaching, there is also Champions Carnival. I would like to welcome in September 1st with my stock raised, even a little bit.



Q: Your immediate schedule is hard

MARUFUJI: It is completely fine!

Q: How did you get the Ryōgoku Kokugikan venue?

MARUFUJI: There were options at several venues and various people helped with arranging it at Ryōgoku Kokugikan. I want to make it a success to show my appreciation to those people.

PRESIDENT UCHIDA: Although Marufuji wanted the venue in August, I guess you all know that Ryōgoku Kokugikan is holding renovation work for two months from July and in September it is the main venue for Grand Sumo. Because of these circumstances it was hard to organise it, and it was miraculously bought about by the real co-operation of various people. We felt that it was the strength and will of Noah's founder, Misawa working too. In that since simply by holding the event we can contribute to various people, so we are thinking of holding an after party. This will be an event that many people are going to co-operate with, so it is not really Pro-Wrestling Noah, but rather we are borrowing the strength of others outside and inside, and we hope that the 20th anniversary will be a grand event.



Q: Who do you want to do a singles match with?

MARUFUJI: There are many things on my mind, can I do it or not? I think that the possibility that it cannot be done is high, but I am going to take many approaches towards it

Link to original article at Boku Pro (in Japanese)

Comments